I had a burglary and items stolen. What should I do?

First, take an inventory of what was stolen. Manufacturer’s, Brands, Models, Serial Numbers and any distinguishing marks on the items. Secondly, report the robbery to your local Law Enforcement Agency and get a Police Report & Report Number. Be sure to give Law Enforcement any names of people you suspect stole your items. They can check there data bases to see if that person or persons have sold or pawned anything in California. Your reported items will be sent by Law Enforcement to the Calif. Dept. of Justice and put into a Master Computer List of Items reported by Pawn Shops & Second Hand Dealers every week in California. If your item’s serial, description etc. is cross referenced in their computer system, then the matching serial numbers or descriptions of the item(s) will be put on a automatic 90 day hold. Then you will be contacted. So, you can see the importance of goods descriptions and serial numbers of your valuable items. Pictures can also help. Even if we know who stole your items we can work with law enforcement, but we can’t tell you because of the Right To Privacy Laws for these thieving, no good dirt bags. But if we have your items, we will do what we can to get your items back to you. **Note. Approximately .009 percent of items pawned are actually confirmed as stolen in California. So as you can see, very few items that are stolen are taken to pawn shops. Check your local flea markets for you stolen items.

Can I Pawn or Sell you a firearm?
Yes you can. We purchase and loan on 100’s of firearms every year. We purchase a large number of unwanted firearms also. You must be at least 18 years of age to sell a firearm.

What if I get a Court Ordered Restraining Order against me? Can I sell you my firearms? 
Yes you can. We do a number of these transactions per year. We will give you a receipt to show the court you sold us your firearms and they are no longer in your possession.

Do you do firearm transfers from one state to another? Including shipping and receiving firearms?
Yes we do. To ship a firearm to intrastate dealers or an out of state dealer we charge $100.00, per firearm. There is an extra charge if you want shipping insurance.

To receive a firearm from an intrastate dealer or out of state dealer, we charge $100.00, per firearm. This charge also includes the Calif. Dept of Justice required DROS Fee to register the firearm to you. *** Note: California State Law requires we charge you Sales Tax (7.875%) on any New Firearm(s) shipped to us from either Intrastate or Out of State Retail Sellers, unless we receive a Sales Receipt stating the Sales Tax in state or out of state has been paid.
**Note: Make sure the firearm(s) you ship to us are allowed for sale in California. Certain handguns, shotguns, rifles and Assault Type Weapons are not allowed. For Handguns and Assault Type Weapons, check the Calif. DOJ Web Site for Firearms. If the firearm(s) are not allowed in Calif., we require a $100.00 Charge to ship the firearm(s) back to the Dealer you purchased from. It is your responsibility to receive a refund from the Dealer. Should the Dealer refuse the return of the firearm(s), by California Law, the firearm(s) must be turned over to Local Law Enforcement and you loose the firearm(s).

How much is the Calif. DROS (Dealer’s Record of Sale) fee?

The state’s DROS fee is $19, which covers the costs of the background checks and transfer registry. There is also a required $1 Firearms Safety Testing fee and a $5 Safety and Enforcement fee. If the transaction being processed is a dealer sale, consignment return or return from pawn, the dealer may impose other charges as long as this amount is clearly shown as a “dealer fee” and not misrepresented as a state fee. In the event of a private party transfer, the firearms dealer may additionally charge a fee of $10 per firearm transferred.

When settling on the purchase price of a firearm and before completing the transaction, you may want to ask the dealer to disclose and identify any and all fees he/she is charging to complete the transaction. (The above Q &A‘s are Subject to change by Calif. Dept. of Justice).

I want to sell a gun to another person, i.e., a private party transfer. Am I required to conduct the transaction through a licensed California firearms dealer?

Yes. Firearms sales must be conducted through a fully licensed California firearms dealer. Failure to do so is a violation of California law. The buyer (and seller, in the event that the buyer is denied) must meet the normal firearms purchase and delivery requirements. “Antique firearms,” as defined in Section 921(a)(16) of Title 18 of the United States Code, and curio or relic rifles/shotguns, defined in Section 178.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations as being over 50 years old, are exempt from this requirement. Firearms dealers are required to process private party transfers upon request. Firearms dealers may charge a fee not to exceed $10 per firearm for conducting a private party transfer. Examples: For a private party transfer involving one or more handguns, the total allowable fees, including the DROS, safety and dealer-transfer fees, are not to exceed $35 for the first handgun and $31 for each additional handgun involved in the same transaction. For private party transfers involving one or more long guns, or a private party transfer involving one handgun, the total allowable fees, including the DROS, safety and dealer-transfer fees, are not to exceed $35. The dealer may charge an additional dealer-service fee of $10 per each additional firearm transferred.

What is the minimum legal age to purchase a firearm in California?

  • As of Jan. 1, 2019 you must be 21 years of age to purchase any Shotgun, Rifle of Handgun. (Some exemptions are allowed if you are 18 years or older).
  • Federal regulations prohibit the sale of “non-shoulder fired” firearms to persons under the age of 21 (Click here for ATF Newsletter ( November 2009)

What is the waiting period for firearm purchases in California?
10 days, calculated as ten, consecutive, 24-hour periods commencing at the initiation of the DROS process. Qualified persons such as peace officers may be exempt from the 10-day waiting period.

What is the DROS process?
DROS is the acronym for Dealer Record of Sale. It is the system used by the California Dept. of Justice wherein background checks are conducted for purchasers of firearms. It is also the method by which firearm sales registration information is obtained.

What are the additional requirements necessary for purchasing a firearm?

Firearms Safety Certificate

Beginning Jan. 1, 2015, purchasers must possess a Firearm Safety Certificate (or present a qualifying exemption) to purchase a firearm.

You can obtain the FSC by successfully passing the written FSC test. The test consists of 30 questions; passing scores are 23 answers correct or more. The cost of taking the test is $10; upon passing the test, the FSC card costs $15. Study materials will be available online.

The test may be taken during normal store hours. The FSC is valid for 5 years from date of issuance. (Persons holding a current HSC (Handgun Safety Certificate) issued before Jan. 1, 2015 will be able to use the HSC for handgun purchases up to the end of the card’s expiration date.)

If you have a current valid Hunting License, you don’t need a FSC Certificate to purchase a rifle or shotgun.

Proof of Residency
CA law mandates that customers purchasing handguns provide proof of residency secondary to a CA Driver’s License or ID card. Utility bills from within the last 90 days, property deeds, lease or rental agreements, or government issued permits, licenses or registrations are acceptable proofs of residency that meet the CA residency requirements.

am selling my gun to a friend, how do I do it?
Sales conducted between unlicensed individuals are called Private Party Transfers. (PPT) must be brokered through licensed dealers. Both parties must be present at the time of the sale. The purchaser bears the cost of the transaction ($35 including DOJ and dealer fees), $10.00 for each additional firearm and must meet all of the qualifications as outlined above.